canberrabirds

Budgerigar

To: <>
Subject: Budgerigar
From: "shaun bagley" <>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 18:50:21 +1000
In company of David McDonald and Anthony Overs, observed pair of Budgerigars at same site mentioned at Yarramundi at approx 4:30 pm today (Sunday).

Seem to be favouring shorter grass just behind shoreline reeds on bay directly down from ACT Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Cultural Centre. Seen in grass just to left of blue gum clump on knoll several meters beyond fossil sign "A long time coming" which may or may not be unintentional comment. When flushed flew up to lower branches of deciduous trees (willows, Salix spp?).. Both bright colours and clearly physically attracted to one another (if you have to ask, I'll take this off-line...) Once down in grass again, could be seen peering above grass until they flew up again to deciduous trees back towards the centre in which there were a number of Dusky Woodswallows.

In keeping with earlier comments, the three of us saw them land in the trees, trained our binoculars on them into the sunset, turned to each other to talk about the experience and the birds disappeared from the trees. Woodswallows still there but Budgerigars gone. Plumage aside, and I am not qualified to comment on cage vs. wild, their behaviour indicated to me that these are actually wild birds. I would also comment that in other parts of the world where I have seen unusual sightings, they happened in the forefront of major weather changes such as the sweeping low pressure that delivered the rains.

If you are looking for them subsequent to this message, may I suggest that you do not look among the miriad red-rump parrots that are taking advantage of the copious grass seed. I was going to write a descriptive difference but they really are so different that I think it is wasted energy. Listen for the calls of the Budgerigar and keep in mind that size and colour are quite different. Enough teaching my grandmother to suck eggs for the moment...

Cheers

Shaun