canberrabirds

Budgerigars at Yarramundi

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Budgerigars at Yarramundi
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 20:30:08 +1000
At 4:00 pm today I was standing on the gravel path behind the old National Museum of Australia building at Yarramundi. I was about 50m from the building and facing the lake, when a pair of bright green budgerigars rose from the ground 20m away and landed on the outer foliage of a eucalypt tree about 30m away. A couple of pair of Red-rumped Parrots rose as well but I didn't need them for comparison as the budgies were in full view (through the binos) and were brilliantly illuminated by a burst of late afternoon sunlight.

Twenty seconds later, they returned to the ground near where they had taken off from. They began feeding and moved about fairly rapidly in very short, sparse, dry grass. At times they moved on to a narrow bare patch and were well illuminated. So, again I had excellent views. They were to the left of the gravel path, close to where it's joined by an old vehicle track. A bit further toward the lake is a small sign (50cm tall) that tells about local Aborigine tribes.

Sixty seconds later they flushed again - probably disturbed by the noise of a car travelling along the bike path (!) - and flew to a eucalypt some 30m away. I got to within 15m before they flushed and headed south across open grassland and I quickly lost sight of them.

Going by the plumage, I thought there was a chance they were wild birds, although I realise some aviary budgies have natural-looking plumage. Then again, the plumage did appear to be a very bright green but, as mentioned above, they were in very strong, late afternoon sunlight.

Other highlights at Yarramundi were about 30 Dusky Woodswallows, a pair of Yellow-Tailed Black Cockatoos on the wing, about 10 Yellow-faced Honeyeaters hanging about and one that could have been a Fuscous Honeyeater.

Bye.

John Layton.