canberrabirds

'Quailty Meals'

To: "Cog line" <>
Subject: 'Quailty Meals'
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 15:17:54 +1000
When I moved to Canberra in early 1980 there was operating near Hall a business known, as I recall, as the 'Dungannon Pheasantry'. It sold quail as well as pheasants. Part of this establishment was a large corrugated iron shed in which were bred the quail, the noise within being deafening. It was hung with floor to ceiling hessian partitioning sheets, partly to deaden the noise and partly to prevent Armageddon-like civil war breaking out among the quail population. When I asked, shouting over the ear-piercing 'what'll-we-dos', what kind of quail they were, I was told that they were 'hybrid Japanese Quail'. This, I understand, is a variety of 'Common Quail' Coturnix coturnix. Apparently this successful species has never been established, either deliberately or accidentally, as a breeding species in Australia, although it has in other parts of the world.

I recall also that the 'Pheasantry' handed out recipe sheets, including one which featured quail in a butter-and-sherry sauce with whole small grapes. Should you have a mind to try this or any other quail dish, remember to allow two hybrid Japanese Quail per person.