canberrabirds

Thredbo eagles and spamming on the COG line

To: Cog line <>
Subject: Thredbo eagles and spamming on the COG line
From: Wendy Moline <>
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 06:48:38 +1000
Hi - is anyone else experiencing spamming via the COG line? Some (expletive deleted) person out there has apparently picked up on the line via the net and is sending unwanted messages which Norton Antispam only sometimes picks up (but unfortunately it also picks up the excellent Photo Gallery announcements - probably because it doesn't understand they are photos of fully-clad birds with all their feathers on).

Is there anyway the gurus running the line can stop this before it gets to us (assuming I'm not the only one receiving this). I get enough of it already without having to think about whether I delete a message from a new member who has used the inevitable 'Hi' for their first message title.

On a more pleasant note, with Phillip V's help and reference to Pizzey & Knight, I think what I saw the other day may have been an immature Wedge Tail eagle - immature because he wasn't doing very well against the ravens, and maybe he hadn't experienced such high winds up on the range before and this had driven him down into the valley, which I would have thought was fairly un-eagle like behaviour (he was just above the tree tops about half way up Crackenback Ridge, reappearing several times before I lost him). A few years back I often watched the pair who live (still I hope) above the Isaacs Ridge when I was living and bushwalking there, so am familiar with their general habits. This is amateur speculation but informed by 50 years of bird watching. What do others think?

cheers from Thredbo on a bright, clear morning with the morning chorus of birds just beginning - very close to paradise, Wendy