canberrabirds

Nesting Habits of Black-shouldered Kite

To: "roger curnow" <>
Subject: Nesting Habits of Black-shouldered Kite
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 01:46:50 +1000
Hi Roger,

Halfway through answering you I stopped to check some of my references. This particular detail is not well covered in basic ornithological textbooks that I have just looked at. This is not a comment about Black-shouldered Kite, any more than any other bird. HANZAB says for it that "copulation appears to occur mainly during nest building". I would suggest to you that within a time frame of days, copulation and laying events would be simultaneous, as in mating would occur over the same set of days as egg laying and starting incubation (in the case of raptors). This is why in my GBS Report breeding graphs, the timing occurrence of copulation is grouped with the timing occurrence of nest building and display. Birds will copulate several times over the egg laying period. Some eggs will be fertile and others not. If your question is prompted by wondering whether the copulation period precedes the egg laying period by a significant amount, (in the way that copulation period precedes the birth for mammals), the general answer is no it doesn't or not by much. Copulation may start with courtship, whereas nest building may take several days. It is the availability of the finished nest and the condition of the female, that would determine laying time. The earlier copulations are probably recreational. This would probably be pretty much the same for all birds unless there are birds (and there may be), in which females have the capacity to store sperm (as some bats do). As birds have a cloaca, I wonder how they would. Egg production in birds is relatively quick and is nothing like a gestation period in a mammal. It would not surprise me if Kiwis, that lay huge eggs are slower than average. Of course some birds like copulating at times that have little to do with egg laying.

Then again you actually asked about the timing of sitting on eggs. This is one further step away from the timing of mating. Most birds wait until a clutch is complete, before starting incubation. This way all chicks hatch at about the same time. Most raptors (and presumably the BsK) don't do that, starting incubation with the laying of the first egg. That way the chicks hatch asynchronously and the last hatched tends to have a hard time of surviving. I'm not sure what Black-shouldered Kites do. Maybe HANZAB can fill in on that (though I can't see that mentioned).