canberrabirds

Wadbilliga NP and Tuross Falls

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Wadbilliga NP and Tuross Falls
From: "David Cook" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 20:47:11 +1000
Kathy and I have just spent an enjoyable couple of days camping at Wadbilliga National Park (about 40km east of Cooma, via Numeralla). We camped at Cascades camping ground, and whilst is was busy the first night, we had the place to ourselves on the second night (Monday). The place was teeming with Greater Gliders - there seemed to be one or two in every tree (slight exaggeration, but there were probably 6 or 7 around our tent, including a white morph) - as well as Brushtail Possums, Swamp Wallabies, a (assumed) Long-nosed Bandicoot, and at least one Platypus in the river near our tent site.

We heard a possible long distance call of a Powerful Owl, but it didn't repeat. There were so many of their favourite food (gliders) and large hollows that you'd think they should be around - played a PO call for a while but achieved no response, except that the Greater Gliders seemed to get closer to us - protection perhaps? Or maybe there aren't any POs there so didn't recognise the call as a predator.

The dawn chorus included Superb Lyrebirds, Pilotbirds and Olive Whistlers - pretty hard to beat. Many lyrebirds in the surrounding bush, and on the walk to Tuross Falls (pretty impressive - probably spectacular after decent rain) - saw one male calling, and heard several others, and came across some females as well.

Whilst not a huge bird list - 47 species in the park and several others on the way in and out - they were pretty good, and included Bassian Thrush, Eastern Whipbird, Spotted Quail-Thrush, Flame Robin, Satin Bowerbird, Owlet-Nightjar, Crescent Honeyeaters, Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos and Wedge-tailed Eagles.

A full list is available if anyone would like it.

David & Kathy Cook