canberrabirds

ANU Regent

To: <>
Subject: ANU Regent
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 20:18:43 +1000
I thought people might be getting a bit bored with this, but I've been
reminded that some with less than time than layabouts like me to attend
current venues of interest would like updates.

I got to the RSC site (see below) at 0915 and waited an hour before it came
along. Outstayed the Gilmores (3 of) and would have left earlier but for the
company of Nicki, Bernadette, Nadeena and David.  It was David who pointed
it out at about 1020 - right on the branch it's used for the previous two
days at the top of what we have tentatively agreed to call the 'tall
poplar', located, if this is any help, in the middle of what Harvey says is
his GBS area.  It called, rather agitatedly, for  2 mins then fell silent
for a few mins before making for a lower perch on a 'shorter poplar'.  That
perch was near and readily viewed from the disabled ramp entrance to the
'Physics and Psychology Laboratories' maybe 35-40m wsw from the RSC
Blakely's.  It stayed, noiseless, at that location for a good 10 mins.  then
it returned to the RSC 'entrance courtyard' area and fed on lerps, this time
on the mannifera.

So what we know is that the bird sometimes occurs at

1) RSC entrance incl the tall exotics to W
2) BOZO (mannifera, NE corner Banks building)
3) East of 2) and just E of Linnaeus Way in euc complex (Blakely's and
Bluegums)
4) ENE of 1) on other side of RSC
5) W of RSC as seen by Tom G and David R on Tuesday evening

For me, today's experience shows that it can lie low resting for longish
periods, 10 mins plus, when you would have no chance of locating it.

As to the call, I have a poor ear, but the clear 'kirrit' is an
excellent indication that it is about. This sounds like nothing else.
Sometimes it says 'kirr-id-it'.  I don't know much about mimicry but
although the syllables could resemble those of an RWB's the tonal quality is
quite different.  I have just played again Peter Fullagar's recording of
last year's bird at Campbell Park, and although those syllables
('yip-yop-yerp') are rather more musical the tonal quality of the current
little fella is about the same