canberrabirds

Tales of Swift Parrots and Regent Honeyeaters

To: <>
Subject: Tales of Swift Parrots and Regent Honeyeaters
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 13:00:12 +1000
It is a good thing that watching these endangered species is far from a solitary pursuit. Yesterday afternoon Joe Forshaw and I tried for the Majura Swifties, but found them a shade spasmodic. We walked past the water tank without noticing any and then spent a fruitless 30 mins around the paddock. Returning to the tank we found about 20 feeding on lerps in the densish foliage up against the tank fencing. They were making no sound and could have been there all the time. After that there were only small numbers moving around. Joe confirmed the high proportion of juvs, pointing out that 'juvs' could now be birds 6 months old. Barbara, Nicki and Annabelle came by for the late afternoon shift.

At the ANU just before 8am today Michael Lenz called out that the Regent was 'there' before I'd even parked. Stu Harris pointed out the Chemistry (RSC) site it had been at even earlier, and then David Wilson found it for me back behind BOZO. In the 2 1/2 hours I was there, I suppose I had it under observation for about 30 mins. The RSC seemed to be preferred, maybe because that spreading Blakely's (?) over the seats is VERY lerpy; all the leaves seem to have scales, some many. Scott pointed out the unlikely exotic tree where it had sat yesterday, and sure enough it perched there again, preening for some time, and then it engaged in frenzied calling from that perch for several minutes, this continuing for a while after it moved back to the Blakely's.

               Geoffrey Dabb
email    :
ph/fax   :   02 6295 3449