canberrabirds

Swift Parrot RIP

To: "Clifton" <>, <>
Subject: Swift Parrot RIP
From: Debbie Saunders <>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 14:20:14 +1000
Hi there,
Sorry for my delayed response - I have been away in central Australia for the past few weeks, and pleased to return and hear that the swifties are still around. The latest report I have is that some were out in the vicinity of Kingsway again today flying around. There is also extensive flowering on the south coast and other parts of the NSW so I am hoping it will be a year jam packed full of swiftie records. Thanks to everyone who has provided details of their sightings, it is wonderful to get so much information and see so much enthusiasm for the species.

Interesting that a dead bird has been reported from the Queanbeyan/Captains Flat area. Unfortunately, since these birds fly so fast, when they collide it is often fatal rather than just a bit of bruising. If anyone sees hazards such as wire mesh fences, windows in the vicinity of where swift parrots are hanging out please take a moment to get something put on the hazard so the birds can see it before they smash into it (such as flagging tape, something to attract the birds attention and avoid the collision). Wire mesh fences such as those around tennis courts are often causes of swift parrot deaths. Last year when the birds were in Cook, the neighbour adjacent to the site where the birds were for a week was more than happy to pull an external blind over their big reflective window until the birds had left the area.

In regard to the age of the bird that died, more distinctive features to look for are the extensiveness of red around the face and on the undertail coverts, as well as a dark iris. Swift Parrots don't tend to have a prominent blue cheek and usually have a small wash of blue on the forehead. Geoffrey Dabbs once again magnificent photos provide a good picture of this. So my answer is, that until I get to see the bird I can't say if it is a juvenile, but from Geoffrey's photos and other observer reports there does seem to be some juveniles amongst the birds.

On this note, thanks so much Geoffrey for your consistently spectacular photos that capture so much behaviour as well as the brilliant colours of these birds. It is always wonderful to see your images and what unusual angle you capture them at. Your photographs of the birds on the drinking at the creek are the best ones of swifties on the ground I have ever seen and will no doubt be invaluable to the recovery team education program.

Cheers Deb