canberrabirds

Free Seminar Saturday 4 June: Woodlands for Wildlife - Recovery for our

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Free Seminar Saturday 4 June: Woodlands for Wildlife - Recovery for our Birds
From: "Jenny Bounds" <>
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 13:49:36 +1000
Dear list members: for your information and to circulate to your networks if you wish.  COG is keen to advertise this widely and your assistance would be appreciated.  A flyer and registration form is also attached - these are available on the COG website www.canberrabirds.org.au.  This will also be in COGs Newsletter Ganggang in April.  (Photos for the flyer were taken from the Photogallery on the COG website which members of this list have contributed to -  COG thanks those whose photos have been used to advertise the seminar; we could not acknowlege you all personally on the flyer).

Note: All registrations etc to the seminar address, not to me personally please.

I am seeking some assistance on the day to set up displays, catering, car park guides etc.  If anyone can help please let me know.

Woodlands for Wildlife - Recovery for our Birds
Free Public Seminar - Saturday 4 June, 1.30pm to 4.30pm
CSIRO Discovery Theatrette, Black Mountain ACT

In celebration of World Environment Day, the Canberra Ornithologists Group, in collaboration with the Wildlife Research and Monitoring Unit of Environment ACT and the Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies ANU, is hosting a seminar focussing on woodland birds and actions for their recovery - this seminar is for a wide general audience as well as researchers, students etc.

Woodland birds continue to decline in our region against a background of loss of habitat and other factors. There is less than 5% of the original woodlands left in the SE of Australia, and much of this is in small, unconnected patches. What is being done, and what more can be done, to bring some of our declining birds back to local woodlands?  What research is needed to answer the questions we don't have the answers to? How can we restore and re-connect habitat for particular species of birds?

This seminar will focus on what individual land owners, community groups, academic and research organisations, and governments are doing - "on the ground". Speakers include Professor David Lindenmayer (Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies, ANU), Dr Geoff Barrett (CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems), Dr Jack Baker (Birds Australia), Ms Alison Rowell (Consultant to COG Woodland Bird Survey Project). Seminar Chairperson Dr Richard Schodde. Panel discussion with speakers.

 How to Register: Prior booking is recommended to ensure a seat (and to assist in catering afternoon tea). Email completed registration form to  or mail to COG PO Box 301, Civic Square, ACT 2608. Bookings can be made up to Wednesday 1 June. Otherwise seats subject to availability on the day. (Theatre has capacity for 170 people).

Registration form and further information available on the COG website at: www.canberrabirds.org.au.  A program with full details of speakers, topics etc will be available on this website nearer the time.