canberrabirds

effect of GM crops on birdlife - UK study

To: "'David Rees'" <>, <>
Subject: effect of GM crops on birdlife - UK study
From: "Pete John" <>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 09:35:59 +1000

All,

This again (web site below) refers only to “herbicide tolerant GM crops” ie the early stupid manifestation of GM; designed by chemical companies to sell herbicide to farmers to kill weeds in the crop. Although lots of crops are mentioned they are all modified in the same way with the same herbicide resistance gene.  It is all just one sort of GM.  I’m not surprised it is being exposed.  I have no time for this sort of GM plant that inevitably leads to more herbicide use.

But as I explained, intelligent GM allows use of LESS chemical ie less insecticide (which is even more toxic than herbicide and more widely used), less fertiliser, less water and it does not involve herbicide use.  Good for birds, people and the environment.  Pity if this is all lost because the first GM use is bad

Pete John