canberrabirds

The Zebra Finches...

Subject: The Zebra Finches...
From: Jeannie Gray <>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:44:27 +1100

…were still in Dunlop on Sunday 8-9am - thanks for excellent directions.  David Landon and I had a really lovely look at them.   We saw a male and female, doing what seemed to be a spot of avian snogging - at first we had thought the male was feeding a younger one.  (Of course, the snogging may have been inspired by the vigorous mating of a pair of Crested Pigeons on the next branch….) The two Zebbies were eventually joined by two Red-browed Firetails, and after a brief sit, all four flew off together towards the trees.

David McDonald, could you please add one to both our ACT lists - in David Landon's case it is his 200th!!

Other excitement: at one time during the hour we spent there, we had an immature Olive-backed Oriole, a Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike and a Restless Flycatcher all in the one bush.  At another time, in the larger dead bush, we had FOUR Restless Flycatchers, four White-plumed Honeyeaters and a Willy Wagtail all dashing about and indulging in a bit of avian biffo.

And later at home in Cook, we added a new one to our garden list - a Rufous Fantail.

Altogether a  good day!!

Jeannie Gray
Senior Counsellor
Health & Counselling Service