canberrabirds

isaacs ridge reserve extension?

To: <>
Subject: isaacs ridge reserve extension?
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 16:51:06 +1100
Marnix

If you're referring to the handout map, which is just a sketch in some respects, the boundary of that reserve does not quite extend down to Mugga Lane.  I think, but am not sure, that the boundary as shown would lie along the fenceline of an old paddock.  When I had survey plots in the paddock on the corner of Mugga and Long Gully, the lessee of Mugga Mugga had grazing rights there, and they might extend a bit further north.  The veg was so poor that  I moved the plots (to East O'Malley!).  I still have some in the old riding school area which is immediately north of the northern boundary of the IR Reserve as shown on that map.

If you really want precise metes and bounds, I think the best thing is to inquire at Southside Parks in Athlonn Dve, where you will probably get the benefit of a detailed map.

Apart from that i would recommend the Isaacs Ridge, east side, as a good bird area.  I can remember standing there at different times and looking down on migrating woodswallows and feeding needletails.  Does involve a bit of a climb, but nothing to deter the average hillwalking Cogrambler

Geoffrey