canberrabirds

grey backed shrikes

To: <>
Subject: grey backed shrikes
From: "Sharon Rusk" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 19:06:17 +1100
Hi!

In the last couple of weeks the rarity of the G.B.Shrike in Canberra has been mentioned, it's almost the opposite in the big Tas. These birds, around my area at least, are very common and are heard whistling through-out the day.

Where as the White Backed Magpie is very uncommon   (compared to Canberra) and is very seldom heard at all, I can only surmise it must be a terratorial thing rather than a bit get to-gether and sing-along.

While I think that spring in Tas begins a couple or so weeks sooner than that in Canberra, it would seem that the summer (there was none this year) ends sooner by the same number of weeks. In the last week or so both types of wattle bird, little & yellow have been arriving in small groups down from the hills along with the other small H.E.s and Robins. The raptors are also more regular and seem to be having a field day. With the Perigrine, Brown Falcon and Hobby having a flyby at least once a day. But that's only if they can get a clear run to do this without having to dodge the Eagles (both types), Harriers, Goshawks (both types) and of course the pesky Collared Sparrow hawk which  seems to get in the road all the time. It's getting that crowded up there now that I'm expecting to witness a sky rage at any time now !

Cheers Bob Rusk
Ps Wee Rabbie was always right!