canberrabirds

Black cockatoos

To: "Bird List" <>
Subject: Black cockatoos
From: "David Rosalky" <>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 17:38:44 +1100
A flock of seven Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoos attempted to feast on a pine tree in my neighbour's property at 5pm today (Wednesday).  (I live in the older part of Deakin.)  They were harassed by Sulphur-crested Cockatoos which landed beside, or sometimes on, the YTBCs to ensure that the pine tree remained their feeding resource.  The harassment was successful and the YTBCs headed for Parliament House (where all the other cockatoos operate!).

Some other observations of interest of recent days:
  • Hobby falcon in central Curtin adjacent to the shops (today)
  • Two Satin Bowerbirds (green) in my garden last week.  I have never had more than a single bird just passing through.  These birds were present for at least two days and communicating together.  Sometimes the Wee-ow call and at other times a low growl which acted as a contact call because one bird would then join the other.  My guess is that I was observing a mother and juvenile but I have no particular diagnostic factors to verify this - just the behaviour.
  • A Grey Butcher-bird calling in suburban Red Hill last week (a propos an exchange of views on this list about GBs in the suburbs).  The site is high in the suburb not far from the bushland on the hill.
  • The call of a Spotted Turtle-dove at the same spot in Red Hill (I reported an STD there several months ago).
David Rosalky
Deakin