canberrabirds

Nesting Falcons

To: "cog-l" <>
Subject: Nesting Falcons
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 00:07:21 +1100
Well I'd certainly be willing to take the effort of a trip out to Tharwa sandwash for a Black Falcon breeding record (after work and take someone with me if that is feasible). If that is what it is. It is possible but Benj's later description is hardly overly convincing though. I'm sure I have encountered Brown Falcons in that area before indulging in behaviour indicative of breeding. At the distance that the situation seems to describe, I don't know that anyone would pick a difference in size. Pizzey's book & Simpson's says the Black is bigger, so saying "it did look smaller than a brown falcon" is not helping. The Brown Falcon is noisy at their nest and with fledglings, with a loud cackle call (not all that much different from the Dollarbird's call). I haven't ever heard a Black Falcon call (but of many observations over the years I have only once seen one at a nest). The Black Falcon is neater and more compact when perched and quite different in flight from a Brown Falcon.

I can report though that the pair of Hobbies (or another pair - but I think they show good site fidelity) have this week returned to the same area with one of two trees to choose from, in which they had a successful breeding last summer. This is in the median strip on Tuggeranong Parkway adjacent to the Kambah Village shops and the Caltex service station. I haven't seen them on a nest yet (haven't had the opportunity to look) but they were flying round the trees chattering to each other at dusk yesterday (and one munching on something) and one seen again today perched on an adjacent light pole.