canberrabirds

Basssian Thrush at ANBG

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Basssian Thrush at ANBG
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2005 20:59:44 +1100
Martin Butterfield wrote:

"I saw a Bassian Trhush in ANBG last Winter (data sheet submitted, which is
good since I can't recall the date otherwise).  Presumably this was a
resident of the gullies come to visit."

Perhaps they're more than visitors to ANBG these days. I first saw a Bassian Thrush there in the winter of 1998. At the time a guide told me he often saw them foraging among leaf litter early in the morning near the visitors centre. On 23 August 2004, I had wonderful views of a pair for some 15 minutes in that area of ANBG that's been extensively planted with Callitris spp. I was able to approach to well within 3 metres, so concluded they were used to people. They virtually ignored me as they preyed on earth worms. Every so often, one bird (I assume the male) presented the other with a few worms. A indication of courtship maybe as I judged them to be an adult pair. Later that day I spoke to one of the gardening staff who said they'd been present for a few/some years and seemed fairly sure (I can't recall his exact words) they had bred there.

Bye.

John K. Layton.