canberrabirds

Highlights of 2004

To: "canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Highlights of 2004
From: "martin butterfield" <>
Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 18:57:47 +1100
My general highlight for the ACT was observing 175 species in the Territory during the year, showing just how rich the birdlife is. A specific delight was the red-capped robin in Aranda bushland: while not that rare it was the first I have seen in the ACT and the first I have spent a solid hour watching him do this thing.

For the rest of the COG area of interest TSR 48 just North of Gundaroo provided painted honeyeaters and filled in one of the (many) gaps in my life list.

I didn't get out of the ACT very much but found the flock of 1,000 plus banded stilts and red-necked avocets on a salt lake on Kangaroo Island rather exciting.  As we had to catch a boat to go there I'm tempted to also log this as my overseas highight.  However the efforts of the volunteers to rehabilitate Tiri-tiri Matangi Island, and run the safe-haven for endemic species, just outside Auckland had to get a mention.

Martin