canberrabirds

COG Signboard

To: "Canberrabirds" <>
Subject: COG Signboard
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 08:26:13 +1100
Thank you, Jenny, for a great piece of organisation and all the work that obviously went into it.  The weatherproofing was a fine example of improvisation with, stylistically, undertones of COG Campout (middle period) melded with the best of Jurkiewicz stock clearance circa 1987.  I do hope that the New Zealanders among us felt that the night was not entirely without profit.

I am writing separately to Suzanne about the suggestion that in future the poetry reading be standardised by adoption of the sonnet form.  This seems to me to carry the risk of repeating the difficulties of the America's Cup, where attempts to standardise the boats (by use of  'J-Class', 12-metre, 'America's Cup class'  and so on) led to the most bitter disputes about rules ever seen in the history of friendly competition.  Even the proposed specification of the Shakespearean structure (abab cdcd efef gg) will not, I fear, create a playing field completely free of the possibility of differences of view as to what is and is not allowed.