canberrabirds

Currawongs Nestlings

To: <>
Subject: Currawongs Nestlings
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:26:49 +1100
Most of the past many years I have had Pied Currawong nests in the tree in my yard or the neighbour's. The exceptions have been when the ravens have nested there. (I prefer the latter, they don't attack me when I step out the door.) Mostly I think there has been two chicks raised. This year it looks like the first nest failed (I don't know why, perhaps predation). When the chicks might have been about 1 to 2 weeks old, the parents stopped going to the nest and about a week later started building another nest, on the other side of the same tree. This nest now has a number of young chicks. That number is at least one.