birding-aus

Australian birds - numbers

To: Charles Hunter <>
Subject: Australian birds - numbers
From: Iain Campbell <>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2022 20:17:58 +1000
HI Charlie,

I have a slightly different take on it. I make my living from taking people on birding trips around the world, often chasing big lists and target birds. Some of the clients are extremely good, some are newbies and some just love seeing birds even if they can't remember what they are.  I am also a reformed lister. I never w do not keep track of the number because when I was in the high 5000s I found that I had lost interest in the bird and was more worried about the number. Now I am somewhere in the high 7000s, but try and keep track of where I saw what species. The excitement of finding the same birds in unexpected environments is easily as high another species for the list.

When dealing with the Australia list remember that someone with no experience can drop the cash and score 440 in 18 days on the east coast and then an extra 70 with 10 days in the NT. So judging a simple number of 470 falls flat when comparing with a tourist with deep pockets. The experience is so much more important than the number, so don't compare yourself with big listers.