birding-aus

Michael Hunter

To: "" <>
Subject: Michael Hunter
From: Charles Hunter via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 18:40:03 +0800
Hi all,

My uncle Michael Hunter passed away on Sunday 22nd May at the age of 83, just
shy of his birthday.

I know many of you met and also knew Michael, a unique character, nature
enthusiast and bird watcher.

He traveled extensively in his pursuit of bird watching and saw several hundred
Australian birds (he hated pelagic trips as he’d always get crook).

His nemesis bird was the princess parrot (numerous attempts were made to see it
to no avail).

I will miss him and his Mulgoa reports.

I actually saw a Storm’s stork on Sunday morning in Borneo before I had heard
the news of his passing and thought of Michael as the stork majestically flew
by and then landed close. It kept eye contact as the boat drove off and we left
the bird in peace.

Michael gave me my first Australian bird guide in my teen years and I’d say
that got me in to birding.

For those close to him, his wife Penny has requested no flowers but rather a
donation to Birdlife.

Warm regards,
Charles Hunter

<HR>