birding-aus

A Tawny Frogmouth In My Backyard

To: Chris Charles <>
Subject: A Tawny Frogmouth In My Backyard
From: Chris King <>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2021 20:45:54 +1000
Our local survey group have had a pair off and on over the last few years in the park near our narrow strip of Greenway along the light rail line. A couple of times we've found a body of one on the road, presumably hit by a car as the tawny hawked insects in the headlights. On the other hand a pair are seen regularly in virtually the same spot on Cooks River, a couple of km away, where there must be enough prey in the lights etc that they don't venture onto the rather quiet road nearby. They seem to be reasonably common in our part of inner western Sydney.