birding-aus

White-throated Needletails Are still in Eastern Australia

To: Michael Tarburton <>, Marie <>
Subject: White-throated Needletails Are still in Eastern Australia
From: Marie Tarrant <>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2021 17:01:05 +1000
Hello Michael and Birding-ausers - in response to your recent email

White-throated Needletails (Thursday 25/3/2021)
This morning at 8.35am I recorded an estimated 100 White-throated Needletails hawking low and fast overhead at Rosenthal Heights, a rural locality in the Southern Downs Region of Qld (-28.27003 152.00694).  I was driving and so pulled over to view them for several minutes.

In addition:
Pacific Swifts (Sunday 14/3/2021)
While carrying out bird surveys at Idalia National Park in Central-west Qld with Andrew Ley et al during Sunday 14 March we recorded the presence of Pacific Swifts ahead of a weather front.  Over a three hour period from 2.30pm we covered a 10km stretch of dirt road (starting from the Ranger Station at -24.88358  144.77417 and along the main drag up to the NP entrance) stopping to survey birds at around every 2kms.  At all times over that stretch, driving or out of the vehicles the Swifts remained a constant hawking over us and we would see between 20-100 Swifts at any one time and so found it impossible to assess overall numbers.   The birds' calling carried very well and I managed some decent sound grab of their twittering and shrill screams.

For you records, regards
Marie Tarrant