birding-aus

Mystery museum specimen

To: "'Peter Shute'" <>, "'Birding-aus NEW'" <>
Subject: Mystery museum specimen
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2021 23:18:43 +1100

I had a similar situation a couple years ago. Although I can’t even see what the question is from that tiny photo. I was examining a very similar glass case with several Australian birds at an antique fair in Canberra. I took some photos of the bell jar. Still have the photos somewhere. Each other bird was identifiable. However one bird was not  but after trying for some time, I realised it was a composite of bits of pardalote, fairy wren and some kind of honeyeater stitched together as one bird. This may be similar.

Philip