birding-aus

Barking Owl didgeridoo

To: 'Birding-Aus' <>, 'Chatline Canberrabirds' <>
Subject: Barking Owl didgeridoo
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 21:59:01 +0000

Having just watched the Barangaroo Australia day ceremony on ABC TV, I noted that at the start there was a one minute’s silence item during which one didgeridoo was performed, the only comment made was that it was marking the dawn. However quite unlike the usual long drone sound, the performance seemed to me as an exact copy of the woof woof call of the Barking Owl (BO) and nothing else. The tone and spacing of notes was obvious (to me). The bird call is such a distinctive sound and before we removed habitat and made the BO rare through most of Aus, it must surely have been very notable to aboriginal people around Aus. Is there likely to be that connection. Just a thought. Any comments?

Philip