birding-aus

Question

To: "Charles Hunter via Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Question
From: "Penny Brockman" <>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2021 16:10:31 +1100
In my area which is Gloucester Mid north coast NSW we didn’t have close fires but we had a lot of smoke and drought. Rivers flowing from Barrington Tops were reduced to series of puddles. So on top of extreme heat and no water, and then fires all around with smoke, birds that could fly the distance went east to parts of the coast that didn’t burn. These included large honeyeaters - noisy friarbirds, red wattle birds that usually are in high numbers here. Parrots seemed to be okay  and we had a large flock of little corellas visit.

Result since is low numbers of small woodland birds such as honeyeaters, flycatchers, robins, thornbills, red browned finches, wrens etc.  I find more along riverbanks. Satin bowerbird numbers are also down.  Parrots and common mynas as usual.

However there’s been a lot of breeding and conditions are good. I see lots of juveniles. Three floods and dams full, paddocks well grassed so hopefully birds will double or treble breed.
Penny Brockman