birding-aus

Mystery swamp call (Altona, Vic)

To: Drew Davison <>
Subject: Mystery swamp call (Altona, Vic)
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2021 16:22:37 +1100
Thanks, Drew. This bird was calling like this from roughly the same location in the reeds on three different days. Was your bird stationary, or moving?

I'm curious to know if others have heard the call, even if they didn't know what it was. If I've heard it a few times in my limited birding experience then surely others have.

I'm also wondering how far one has to go to consider a recording positively identified. Do we have to wait till someone actually sees a bird making this call?

Peter Shute