birding-aus

[Birding-Aus] Interesting Olive Whistler behaviour

To: 'calyptorhynchus' <>, 'Tom Tarrant' <>
Subject: [Birding-Aus] Interesting Olive Whistler behaviour
From: Philip Veerman <>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2020 10:25:43 +0000

Not sure how relevant to the general idea. In my younger days I kept many finches. The male Chestnut-breasted Mannikins have a very low volume song but before any sound could be heard, they would typically adopt the very obvious singing posture, of a stiff upright stance, some feathers flattened and others raised, to emphasise the colour patches, moving their head side to side and sort of looking like they were panting and this would go for a few seconds before any sound would come out. It clearly was a routine part of the song because the posture and stylised movements continued after sounds came out. I also recall Star Finches sometimes doing similar things. This is in the context that the songs of Australian finches aren’t used for territory purposes (only social and sex), and so are not loud sounds (unlike whistlers).

Philip