birding-aus

All The Birds of the World: Review

Subject: All The Birds of the World: Review
From: Noel Luff <>
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2020 08:14:38 +1100
Further to Jason's comments I would like to add to his comments. There were a couple of other features which he did not cover.

I do not own any of the previous publications from Lynx which preceded this one (17 volume Handbook or 2 volume Checklist). I do, however, subscribe to Cornell's Birds of the World, a resource which I use regularly. I also have a keen interest in taxonomy. This book covers both these interests

Each species has a QR code associated with it.This will take you to the e-bird page and from there it is a simple one click and you are at the bird in Cornell's Birds of the World. I purchased a bar code reader for less than $50 and it works a treat

The other feature is that there is a "taxonomic circle" associated with each species. This circle is divided into  quarters. One quarter each for
a) HBW/Birdlife International December 2019 (the current list)
b) eBird/Clements August 2019 (the current list)
c) Howard and Moore August 2018 (the current list)
d) IOC January 2020 (has been an update in July 2020)
There is an attempt to reconcile the four lists (which I found confusing)
If a particular bird is recognised in some list(s) as a species but not in all lists the bird is illustrated and the taxonomic circle is used to indicate this fact. The circle is also used to indicate to which species such a bird belongs. Sounds a bit confusing but it does work.
I appreciate the fact that this feature will date quickly but at the moment it is an excellent feature.

There is also an appendix for extinct birds.

It is also possible to download a list of endemics for each country. Australia ranks second for (369) behind Indonesia (557)

All in all a very big book, filled with lots of good stuff