birding-aus

Brush-turkey legalities

Subject: Brush-turkey legalities
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2020 17:09:11 +1000

Background:  We've had a Brush-turkey mound in our SE QLD backyard since
just after Christmas last year - very late in the season, but Spring was very hot
and dry.  The usual mass movements of leaf litter etc. occurred, but you get
that living on the fringe.

In the last week of so, there has been renewed activity at the mound -
but not the original male, who may have become a road statistic.
We think the new "alpha male" (big wattle) muscled in after a youngster
had done the hard slog.

A neighbour had a tarp. slung over our shared fence for several months;
we assumed to let it dry out.

This afternoon the tarp had been used to cover the mound, and was
pegged down with concrete blocks.  Does covering an active mound
constitute "harm" to a protected species?  (e.g. "Nature Conservation
Act 1992
".)

I don't want to start a fight with a neighbour, but they've totally crossed
the line here.

Thoughts etc.?

Thanks!