birding-aus

casting

To: <>
Subject: casting
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2020 10:01:25 +1000

Hi All,

Those of you who are interested in learning about the range of items found in regurgitated gastric pellets of vertebrates may be interested in reading the following scientific paper (the full text can be downloaded):

A call to search for fossilised gastric pellets
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/241711693_A_call_to_search_for_fossilised_gastric_pellets

There’s no specific mention of of echidna spines, but there are a range of interesting items.  A key message from the author is that there is a lot more to be learnt about the subject, and we are encouraged to go looking for pellets and examine them. They are out there, it’s just a matter of finding them.

Stephen Ambrose

Ryde NSW