birding-aus

Flyway citation

To: "<>" <>
Subject: Flyway citation
From: Michael Hunter <>
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2020 16:05:08 +1100
Hi All.

            As part of our never ending and so far successful efforts  by a
dedicated group of us to prevent suburban development in Mulgoa Valley, one of
our many defences is that the Valley is a recognised Flyway for hundreds of
thousands of migratory birds.

            Although this is very apparent in Spring and Autumn, and an obvious
reality known to local birders , some kind of authoritative  written Citation
would carry more weight than just our opinion in our Submissions to the various
Departments involved.

             The Valley is a semi-rural area between Wallacia and Penrith, with
minimal 25 - 40 acre subdivisions outside of Mulgoa Village, all sorts of bird
habitat including Native Forest and undergrowth, forest edge, grass paddocks,
numerous small and large dams, intermittent creeks, clay banks and introduced
flowering and fruiting trees.
               ( In my thirty five plus years here I have counted well over two
hundred species, including accidentals and transitory migrants, In only one
cross section of the Valley. At the moment there are Regent Honeyeaters and
Swift Parrots,  (in secret locations on private property). During Inland
Drought the Valley is a retreat for many species including water birds, As a
slice of the Blue Mountain foothills cut off millennia ago and not just an
extension if the Sydney Basin, it is a National  Natural Treasure as well as
having extreme historic significance, both European and Aboriginal, all of
which would be destroyed or dramatically degraded by the proposed changes that
we oppose)

            Does anyone know of written references to the Mulgoa Valley Flyway
in the literature ?

             Michael Hunter

Sent from my iPhone
<HR>