birding-aus

Land of the smokey bears

To: "'Peter&Bev Morgan'" <>, "'birding-aus \(E-mail\)'" <>
Subject: Land of the smokey bears
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 11:49:12 +1100

Thank you Peter. I see your point.  This is indeed an area of confused public expectations and changing jurisdictional responsibilities.  I may be pushing the subject a little too much for this forum, but I shall try to take it a little further.

It is true that ‘national park’ had an earlier meaning, from the 19th century: ‘a flora and fauna reserve open to the general public’ (Macquarie Dictionary 4th ed.). That sense has been taken up in a category in the IUCN system of classifying different kinds of protected areas.  It is also true that in Australia the States have had traditional responsibility for land management and hence for ‘national parks’.  There are no Commonwealth-managed ‘national parks’ apart from offshore areas and the external territories.

However in Australia the term ‘national park’ is confusing given that those areas are State-managed and that in nearly all other countries such areas are a national responsibility. There is another dimension to the matter, of growing importance  -  as demonstrated by the demand that the Prime Minister take greater responsibility for bushfires.  There is an expectation that the Commonwealth bear more responsibility, perhaps the main responsibility, for environmental matters.  This is a legacy of the Tasmanian Dam Case, before which the environment was a State concern.  Commonwealth legislation (the EPBC Act, currently under review) has gone about as far as possible to assert Commonwealth control over environmental matters, drawing on available heads of power.

I now return to bushfires, and the absence (perhaps temporary) of an Australian equivalent of Smokey Bear. The Commonwealth department website has a heading that you reach under ‘EPBC Act’: ‘Bushfire management and national environmental law’. It is stated that certain fire prevention activities may require federal approval  -  if there might be ‘a significant impact on a nationally protected matter’.  The activities could include ‘proposed new burning regimes in world heritage sites, national heritage places or Ramsar wetlands’.  Listed ‘national heritage places’ include Australian Alps National Park and Royal National Park in NSW.  When the Commonwealth department is less busy I shall be interested to find out how the Commonwealth proposes to control the burning regime in those places. Perhaps the Prime Minister will be out there with a hose after all, as many wish to see.

Geoffrey