birding-aus

Needletails are heading our way

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Needletails are heading our way
From: Michael Tarburton <>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 11:49:10 +1000
G’day

Two days ago two White-throated Needletails were reported from Timor Leste so
this bird now listed as Vulnerable in Australia is heading back our way.  If
you want to help with the documentaion of its decline please count or estimate
the size of any flocks you see.  Send them directly to me, or to Birdata, or
eBird.  Sightings without counts can be useful also (though not as useful) for
determining the whereabouts of this wandering bird, in regards to conservation
issues, so even if you do not get a count still report them please.

If you are near wind farms look for dead birds.  They fly at night and do not
see the spinning blades and like Short-tailed Shearwaters are killed by the
type of turbine used in Aus.  There are turbines that do not kill any birds and
they would be a great solution to this dilemma, if used in Aus.

Last year the first sightings in Australia were in August, so its time to look
up into the sky more often and make sure its WTNT that you are reporting.

Many thanks for helping monitor this declining species.

Have a great Birding Spring.

Mike
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list