birding-aus

recommend an app for bird songs / calls?

To: Steve Johnson <>
Subject: recommend an app for bird songs / calls?
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2019 16:57:54 +0930
Hi Steve
for what it's worth I use Michael Morecombe and David Stewart which is a field guide with calls.

Gary

On Sun, 15 Sep 2019 at 16:20, Steve Johnson via Birding-Aus <> wrote:

Hello everyone,

Can you please recommend an app for bird vocalizations?  I’m going to visit Australia for the first time ever, and I will need all the help I can get identifying the birds I find.

I don’t intend to use the app as playback in the field, not wanting to disturb the birds.  But it’s so helpful to be able to listen to a few recordings of known species, to figure out what bird I’m hearing.  And of course, I'll try to study a select few species' calls ahead of time.

In North and Central America, I’ve used two such apps and can definitely recommend them for birds in there.  Those two are “Sibley Birds” for North America, and “Costa Rica Birds” (by birdingfieldguides.com).  (Note, I recommend the first as an all-around e-guide, the second only for its recordings.)

(My preferred all-around field guide for CR is “How to See, Find, and Identify Birds in Costa Rica” by Pat OʼDonnell.  I only used it in electronic form, but it was clearly superior to the 2 most popular print guides available back in 2016.)

Any advice - what are the pros and cons of different apps for Australian bird vocalizations - would be much appreciated.  Thank you.  Depending on list protocols, you may be better replying to me directly unless it's appropriate for the full list.

Good birding,
Steve Johnson
Fairfax, Virginia, United States

<HR>