birding-aus

Goyders Line

To: Chris Brandis <>
Subject: Goyders Line
From: Gary Wright <>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 14:45:31 +0930
I am 65 and what i learnt in primary school was that Goyder's line represented the 10" (inch) rainfall line and the  line above which wheat could  not be grown.   I have often thought about it as when driving from Melrose to Wilmington where I live in SA there is a sign indicating that you are crossing Goyder's line and that point probably received more than 20" of rain per year.

Unfortunately the way things are going it won't be long until it gets down close to 10.  Last year in Wilmington we had 10 inches (250 mm) and this year so far we have  had 214 mm.   When I moved to Wilmington 22 years ago the official average for Wilmington was 450 mm.  I don't remember us ever getting that but things are getting dry in the last 10 -15 years.

I would expect Goyder's line in general will be heading south.

Gary