birding-aus

Head pressing by Eastern Rosellas

Subject: Head pressing by Eastern Rosellas
From: Gordon Claridge <>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 14:49:54 +1000
Are they checking for the sounds of monitor lizard claws on the tree (outside or inside the trunk)?

I was told many years ago that hole nesting birds can be flushed by scratching on an area of dead wood on the trunk with a dry branch to simulate the sound of monitor lizard claws.

It would make sense if they were pressing their heads on the trunk / nest box to use bone conduction through their skulls to pick up any such faint sounds before they get too invested in a breeding effort in that “tree”.

Gordon Claridge