birding-aus

single RED-RUMPED SWALLOW with 2 Barn Swallows, Lower Daintree, FNQ

To: "" <>
Subject: single RED-RUMPED SWALLOW with 2 Barn Swallows, Lower Daintree, FNQ
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2019 02:42:49 +0000
A single RED-RUMPED Swallow was photographed on Tuesday mroning 01/01/19 on the powerlines adjacent to the junction of Cape Tribulation Rd/Prins Rd, Lower Daintree, just 800mtrs from the location where I found what is likely the same individual around this time here last summer. The photographers were visiting birders from Brisbane, Ian & Christine Churchward, who were there looking for the 2 (at least) Barn Swallows that have been in the area for the past month. I asked them that day to show me their images of what they thought may have been a Barn Swallow in heavy moult or juvenile plumage - but I was able to confirm for them that they had instead found the first Red-rumped Swallow for the summer!! I checked the location yesterday and this morning and can confirm it is still there along with the Barn Swallows. I would expect to see another 30-odd Barns around here soon as well if these birds are the same as last summer's. The Red-rumped stayed in the area until early Feb last time, and the Barns until late Feb, so I would think that this season would be similar...

cheers,

martin cachard

solar whisper wildlife cruises, daintree river,

& trinity beach, cairns, fnq

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>