birding-aus

Red Goshawk research

To: "'sandra henderson'" <>, "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: Red Goshawk research
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2018 12:04:36 +1100

Hi All,

I tend to agree with Philip on this issue.  I don't know anything about this project other than what Greg has written and what I've read in the link provided in the current email.  But those people who are conducting this work would need approval to do it from the Australian Bird and Bat Banding Scheme and an animal ethics experimentation committee, as well as having the necessary state permits to trap, handle and release wildlife.  As part the approval process, those authorities sanction the methods used, ensure that adequately qualified and experienced researchers conduct the work (it looks like researchers from the Australian Wildlife Conservancy, Rio Tinto and Qld DES are involved  http://www.riotinto.com/media/media-releases-237_26199.aspx ), and the researchers must report back on the types and numbers of animals handled, band and tag numbers, any difficulties they encountered, animal mortalities, suggestions on how techniques could be improved in future etc.  If any of those authorities had concerns about the work, then they have the right to investigate and, if those concerns are upheld, then they can revoke the permits.

Please note, I'm not defending Rio Tinto's actions, necessarily, I'm just pointing out the general process that is involved.  It's possible that Greg has uncovered some unethical practices and outcomes that the permit-issuing authorities are not aware are happening, in which case he has provided a useful service but, on the other hand, as Philip said, it may be an over-reaction.

Stephen Ambrose

Ryde NSW