birding-aus

Swifts pair flying and calling - northern Sydney 15 Dec 2018

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Swifts pair flying and calling - northern Sydney 15 Dec 2018
From: "Tom Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2018 12:01:47 +1100
Hi all
I don’t normally post my swift sightings (and send them all to Mike Tarburton at the end of the season in a spreadsheet) but yesterday (15 Dec – approx 7pm), just as my bit of northern Sydney (North Turramurra) was recovering from 2 rather violent storm cells and I was outside tidying up, I heard a chittering above me.  Circling about 20m up was a pair of White-throated Needletails – they were calling and quite clearly pair flying as the trailing bird mirrored every move that the lead bird bird made.  I watched them for a couple of minutes and they were calling and flying in this manner all that time.  They eventually drifted off to the east and I lost sight of them behind trees.
I’ve seen pair flying before but not so early in our swift season that I can remember.
Cheers
Tom Wilson
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list