birding-aus

Fork-tailed Swift records in FNQ

To: "" <>, "mike tarburton (SWIFT records)" <>
Subject: Fork-tailed Swift records in FNQ
From: martin cachard <>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 05:10:58 +0000
hello Mike and all...
I observed a small flock of Fork-tailed Swifts at Craiglie on Captain Cook Hwy just south of the Port Douglas turn-off at 7:50am on Sunday 25/11/18 numbering about 20 birds.
weather was hot clear and steamy and the birds were hawking about 15mtrs above the treetops.

another larger flock of about 150 Fork-tailed Swifts was observed this morning at 7:55am on the Capt Cook Hwy and all the way to Mossman along the Cooya Beach road.
weather was very hot and steamy with thunderstorms the previous night and skies were overcast. the birds were only 10mtrs above the treetops.

I saw my first Oriental Cuckoo of the season up here too, a single bird about 20kms south of Port Douglas at 7:40am.

cheers,

martin cachard

solar whisper wildlife cruises,
daintree river