birding-aus

Lewin's Rails feeding young reported on birdline - Lake Hamilton, Vic

Subject: Lewin's Rails feeding young reported on birdline - Lake Hamilton, Vic
From: Anthea Fleming <>
Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2018 21:28:11 +1100
I am not familiar with Lewin's Rail.  But in another more familiar member of the Rallidae, the Dusky Moorhen, I have seen parents feeding young chicks - and they were also being fed by immature birds, presumably older siblings. I have also seen Eurasian Coots feeding young on weed brought up from underwater.  Purple Swamphens chop tough cumbungi (bulrush) roots with their beaks and feed the starchy juices to their downy young.  I have also seen a Crake (Spotless, from memory) carrying food items to a tussock in which a very young chick was hiding.
So I think it quite likely that Lewin Rails should also feed their young.

Anthea Fleming