birding-aus

Cassowary chicks

Subject: Cassowary chicks
From: Russell Woodford <>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2018 09:42:46 +1100
Hi everyone

Phil Gregory has tried to send this message a few times over the last couple of weeks. I thought it had made it to the list, but it's not in the archives ...

From Phil Gregory:

Happy to report that the venerable Dad Cassowary at Cassowary House at Kuranda (coming since 1985 when he was already adult!) has 3 lovely stripy orange-headed chicks, first brought in on Oct 1. They are always very wary and skittish when they first appear, but have now settled down nicely and are showing well to our guests and some visitors. The big female also comes in more or less daily too, and very nice to see some rain here last night and again this arvo aftera long very dry and dusty spell. Victoria’s Riflebird stopped displaying over a month ago and many species seem to be on hold with calling and breeding attempts- we have yet to hear any Noisy Pitta yet, and both Superb and Rose-crowned Fruit Dove are atypically quiet, though still being seen.
Also very happy to see 17 Black-throated Finch along Henry Hannam Drive Oct 14, my biggest flock for some years and in a place that was formerly good for them but went very unproductive for a long while.
Regards
Phil Gregory
ornithological writer/tour leader/tour facilitator
Field Guides / Sicklebill Safaris / Cassowary House / Cassowary Tours
PO Box 387
Kuranda
QLD 4881
Australia
Phil Gregory
ornithological writer/tour leader/tour facilitator
Field Guides / Sicklebill Safaris / Cassowary House / Cassowary Tours
PO Box 387
Kuranda
QLD 4881
Australia

Ph: +61 7 40 937 318

Email: m("s2travel.com.au","info");" style="color:rgb(17,85,204)" target="_blank">
Website1: http://www.sicklebillsafaris.com OR www.birder.travel

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>