birding-aus

Wedgies

To: Michael Hunter <>
Subject: Wedgies
From: David Clark <>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2018 21:29:11 +1000
Michael

I'm sure that WTEs are more than capable of killing healthy lambs.  Whether
they need to expend energy doing so is probably the question.

Some years ago, perhaps after the 2003 bushfires, I read an account of WTEs
attacking Fallow Deer in the Victorian High Country.  Two or three WTEs
were involved in what was described as a co-ordinated attack.

Cheers

David

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 9:19 PM Michael Hunter <>
wrote:

> Great to hear that the jail penalty for killing Wedge-tail Eagles was
> widely publicised in Victoria at least.
> Was Sylvester actually jailed?
>
> Do Wedgies really kill healthy lambs?
>
> Years ago the CSIRO comprehensively investigated and could not find a
> single first hand report of a Wedgie killing a healthy lamb, possibly they
> attacked sick and immobile newborn lambs.  They did eat dead lambs or sheep.
>
> One of the Rangers quoted in the news report said that they did kill lambs
> and sometimes hunted in packs.
> They do scavenge on animal carcasses, sometimes in numbers, but are there
> reliable first hand reports of Wedge-tail Eagles actually hunting in
> packs?  Or actually killing healthy lambs?
> Do ANY Eagles hunt in packs ?
>
>              Michael
>

> Sent from my iPhone
> <HR>