birding-aus

Advertisement: Birding on King Island

Subject: Advertisement: Birding on King Island
From: Kathrine Ravich <>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2018 18:03:11 +1000
BIRDING ON KING ISLAND

Have you been to King Island?

If you are a bit of a traveller and are looking for somewhere a little
different, then you should give it a go. Apart from a couple of world class
golf resorts, life is pretty low key and relaxed; the locals friendly and
accommodation mostly 3 or 4 star.

Situated in the middle of Bass Strait, you would expect some interesting
weather and the landscape to reflect those conditions, mostly green pastures,
low rolling hills and short vegetations.

And, of course, the island has BIRDS, lots of them and some interesting
species. Five introduced species, the Indian Peafowl, Common Pheasant, Wild
Turkey and Magpie, are the most common birds, roaming the island for all to
see. Endemic species include the Green Rosella, Tasmanian Thornbill, Yellow
Wattlebird, Black Currawong and the Dusky Robin while the prized sighting would
be the Orange Bellied Parrot, if you caught it on its migration north or south.

We visited the island in mid September, having registered, by email, with
“Wings on King”, expressing our interest in doing some bird identification,
and, if possible making some contribution to the local birding effort.

As arranged, we were met at King Island Airport by Kate who introduced us to
the Island’s birds, gave us stacks of information with locations to visit and a
checklist of King Island birds. We were allocated a number of specific sites
which we were invited to undertake 2 hectare surveys on any that fell within
our tourism schedule....”no pressure just do as many as suits you”.

We completed 4 of the formal, 2 hectare surveys but were only happy with two of
those, as well as a number of informal spot surveys. Kate seemed happy with
that when we handed the kit and results back to her before our departure.

So, why not give it a go... King Island and “Wings on King”.
https://www.birdsofkingisland.com/wings
<https://www.birdsofkingisland.com/wings>
Jan and Barry Hetherington
<HR>