birding-aus

Stringing

Subject: Stringing
From: Tony Ashton <>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2018 07:37:04 +1000
Hi all,

Years of unofficially moderating the Tyto Wetlands list for the Info Centre
showed that many, indeed, most!, in my experience, listers (myself
included, when elsewhere) make errors. Far fewer cheat. Annual listing
comps may be a factor. But delusions about ability probably play a greater
part. About 80% of drivers think they're above average. Why should birders
be different?

Cheers,
Tony Ashton (Tyto Tony)

On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 7:57 PM rob morris <>
wrote:

> Hi there
>
> Noah’s example is not ‘stringing’ - that example is fabrication aka lying.
>
> A stringer is someone who misidentifies things without knowing. Stringing
> - as it was defined in the 70s and 80s Uk birding scene was the same - e.g.
> someone who genuinely thinks he saw a Fairy Pitta at Mount Glorious not
> realising it was a Noisy Pitta.
>
> Fabrication is most commonly called lying.
>
> Rob
>
> Robert P Morris BSc(Hons) MSc GIACD
>
> Mobile +61 431 119 773
> Landline +61 7 3195 1911
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> > On 16 Sep 2018, at 19:36, A Smith <> wrote:
> >
> > I am currently reading Noah Stryker's excellent book about his world big
> year, Birding without Borders. In the book, Noah talks about stringing and
> uses an Australian example. Does anyone know the background to this story?
> >
> > In the example Stryker uses, 'local experts became suspicious of the
> impressive list of sightings' made by someone doing a state big year. The
> observer 'was caught red-handed' when he reported a frigatebird with a
> photo that subsequently was found to have been taken in Fiji. The clincher
> was that the photo showed clear blue skies when the weather was cloudy on
> the day others had seen the frigate bird.
> >
> > Regards
> > Alastair
> >

> > <HR>
> > <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> > <BR>
> > <BR> To change settings or unsubscribe visit:
> > <BR>
> https://eur02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fbirding-aus.org%2Fmailman%2Flistinfo%2Fbirding-aus_birding-aus.org&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cd0fdb16c75304811c68a08d61bb7ec69%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C636726874103652406&amp;sdata=K7GiH1eLxkisldSpSi133ZbpDHeiWAJAeiRc4aPDsqc%3D&amp;reserved=0
> > </HR>
> <HR>
> <BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
> <BR>