birding-aus

Fw: Phalarope bonan

To: Birding-Aus <>, Birdchat <>, sabirdnet <>
Subject: Fw: Phalarope bonan
From: Willem Jan Marinus Vader <>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 20:07:29 +0000

________________________________
From: wim vader <>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2018 10:02 PM
To: Willem Jan Marinus Vader
Subject: Phalarope bonan

Sendt fra E-post<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

LATE SUMMER IN TROMSØ

                   Most of NW Europe has suffered an exceptionally hot and dry
summer in 2018, creating many problems for the farmers, and causing many forest
fires. But here at 70*N our summer has been mixed: May very nice and
warm---little snow left in the Mountains--, June grim, cold and wet, and July
very much up and down, but with a few wiffs of the hot summer of the rest of
Europe for 2-3 days in a row, and even the first ever ‘tropical night’ (i.e.
temp. never below 20*C all night) in Tromsø and even on the outlying island of
Vannøy, where Riet and I just then spent a few days. Now we are back to normal:
temperatures of 9-15*C at midday, and regular rain showers.

                    It is typical late summer. The many luxuriant flowers of
midsummer: The enormous Tromsø-palms (an exotic Hogweed Heracleum), Meadowsweet
Filipendula , Alpine Sow Thistle Cicerbita and Rosebay (or Fireweed) Chamaerion
 have lost most of their flowers, and the many different shades of green of
spring have melted together to a more monotonous green, which soon will
differentiate again into the many golden and red colours of autumn. A few
flowers have waited until now to come into full lower: white Grass of Parnassus
Parnassia, and the beautiful blue Field Gentians Gentianella, which every late
summer I search for and find.

                     July has as always been a somewhat dull time for birding:
there is very litle bird song---a few Willow Warblers and the always
irrepressible Greenfinches, and many waterbirds have young and/or are moulting
and hide. So driving along our roads one mostly meets Magpies, of those we have
any number, Hooded Crows, gulls and often also White Wagtails. But today the
shorebird autumn migration clearly had got started. At the wetland, or rather
wet meadows, of Tisnes some 30 km from Tromsø on the island of Kvaløya, about
which I have probably written too many times already, there now were Ruffs
everywhere and all three pools held phalaropes, 10 altogether, more than I ever
have seen before here on Tisnes, where they do not nest; these are Red-necked
Phalaropes, Ph. lobatus,  our local breeders, and I see a few here in late
summer most years. There were also a few ducks in the pools, mostly Mallards
and a few wigeons, and of course the local Common Gulls, that have a large
colony here. Tens of swallows foraged over the wet meadows and the shoreline
(We have several species of ‘intertidal midges’ here); to my surprise the flock
did not only contain the usual Sand Martins (Bank Swallows, in the ever
mediating Norway called Sandsvale= Sand Swallow!), but also Barn Swallows—of
which a few pairs nest in a barn here on Tisnes--, and even quite a number of
House Martins, which nest nowhere closer than N. Finland. They will all
probably soon leave us. An Arctic Skua (Parasitic Jaeger) used the flood waters
for a thorough bath and clean-up.

In the innermost bight, where the flood was just coming in, there were  more
shorebirds: more Ruffs, Ringed Plovers, Dunlins, with a single Little Stint,
and I also heard the tju-WEET of the Spotted Redshank

On the way back I stopped and walked a small round on the Langnes peninsula
near the airport, where there is a small sandy beach, which often attracts
shorebirds at high water. Here earlier in the season it is complicated to walk,
as the local Arctic Terns are quite aggressive; Ringed Plovers also nest here.
Now there were tens of Ringed Plovers, and more than 100 Dunlins, again with 2
Little Stints in the flock. Also here most flowers were gone, but I discovered
two clumps of a plant I have never seen here before, a Speedwell Veronica
species with very long flowers; maybe a garden escape? I’ll have to ask my
colleagues at Botany.

Wim Vader, Tromsø, Norway

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list