birding-aus

Difficult birds?

To: John Hopkins <>
Subject: Difficult birds?
From: Andrew Bell via Birding-Aus <>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2018 22:33:35 +0930
Hi John

Easiest spot i know for Silver-backed Butcherbird is Emerald Springs Roadhouse,
north of Pine Creek, stop for a coffee and a meal on the shady deck out the
back and chances are a SBBB will join you in the deck looking for scraps.
They’re relaible and quite tame.

Yellow-tinted Honeyeater sporadic but quite common in savannah woodland around
Katherine, and around town, the eucalypts around the Katherine Visitor
Information Centre carpark are a fair bet.

Cheers

Andrew Bell

Sent from my iPad

> On 15 Aug 2018, at 01:07, John Hopkins <> wrote:
>
> Greetings  fellow birders.
>
> The kind people  on this  list have been most generous to me in the past with
> their knowledge of some of Australia's  more  difficult birds. Well, I'm on
> the scrounge again !  I,( well, three of us actually) will be birding in
> Australia  in late Sept./Oct. this year  and have been using  the excellent
> eBird Australia  to help us locate  species  we  would like to see. Two of
> the ones  we want in the NT  seem to be sparse  and irregular , at least
> according to that site, even though  they should be fairly  easy ( according
> to the books anyway!).  Does  anyone have  any reasonably  reliable sites
> for Silver-backed  Butcherbird  and Yellow-tinted  Honeyeater? We are
> basically  doing  Mt. Isa  to Birdsville ( via Winton ...I'll check out  the
> sewage ponds !) and then Darwin/Kakadu/across to Vict. River  and Timber
> Creek. We are also hoping to have a look for Rufous Scrub-bird in the
> Barrington/Gloucester  Tops area ( we'll stay at Gloucester  for that)....but
> there  don't seem to  be many recent  reports...at least not with
> directions.So any help on these  3  species would be most gratefully
> received...please  reply  privately to me if  you don't  want to bore  your
> resident birders!!
>
> Many Thanks,  John Hopkins.
>

> ---
> https://www.avg.com