birding-aus

Help with Sea Bird ID off Mistral Pt, Maroubra, Sydney

Subject: Help with Sea Bird ID off Mistral Pt, Maroubra, Sydney
From: Chris Gregory <>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2018 14:19:50 +1000
My wife and I were out at Mistral Point yesterday to catch the action from
the strong southerlies that have been blowing hard for a few days. We are
no experts but together with my wife's scope and my long lens camera we
usually manage to ID most.

Anyway this one stumped me when I came to look through the photos. It's a
one off photo of a lone bird, obviously a fair way out and travelling
south. The shot is not great and even looking at the RAW image I can't
really improve on what appear to be fairly clear underwing diagnostic
features with blocks of dark grey on the carpel bar. The head is a similar
grey with a clear line to the chest. and there appears to be a dark tip to
the tail.

Anyway I've been through the Guides and nothing seems to come close. It
looks like a Petrel of some kind. Any thoughts would be much appreciated?

Chris Gregory

<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>